Allergy and Asthma Clinic Questions and Answers
If you or someone you know is affected by Allergy or Asthma, come to Broadway Family Clinic or If you are looking for an allergy and asthma Clinic in Pearland, TX our physicians at Broadway Family Clinic are pleased to offer their services. For more information call us today or visit online to book an appointment.
Table of Contents:
Allergies and asthma are two interconnected chronic diseases; people with asthma are more likely to have allergies, and vice versa. This comorbidity can make it difficult for the person suffering from these conditions, but fortunately, there are several safe and effective treatments available for people living with allergies and asthma.
An asthma and allergy doctor is qualified and experienced to diagnose, treat, and care for people with allergies, asthma, and other diseases of the immune system. Asthma and allergy doctors are highly skilled in the diagnosis and treatment of asthma and in helping people prevent and treat allergy symptoms. Asthma and allergist doctor typically:
– Evaluate a patient’s medical history
– Educates patients about symptom prevention
– Performs a physical exam
– Orders and interprets laboratory and imaging tests
– Prescribes medications
– Diagnoses and treats allergies and asthma
– Provides primary care in some cases
– Works closely with other medical specialists
There are several types of allergies that can induce an asthmatic reaction, including:
● Inhaled Allergens — Asthma triggers that are inhaled appear to be the most hazardous allergens for people with allergic asthma. Common inhaled allergens include:
– Animal dander (skin, fur, saliva)
– Dust mites
– Cockroach particles
● Food Allergies — While food allergies seldom cause asthma, they can cause anaphylaxis, a severe life-threatening reaction. Common foods linked with allergies include:
– Cow’s milk
– Tree nuts (almonds, pecans, and walnuts)
– Shrimp and other shellfish
● Food preservatives can also trigger asthmatic reactions. These include:
– Dried fruits or vegetables
– Potatoes (packaged and some prepared)
– Wine and beer
– Bottled lime or lemon juice
– Shrimp (fresh, frozen, or prepared)
– Pickled foods
Allergies that cause asthma is known as allergic asthma, for which there are several tests to establish a diagnosis. These may include:
– Spirometry — This breathing test measures total lung capacity along with a few other breathing-related functions.
– Exhaled Nitric Oxide Test (FeNO Test) — Hence its name, this test measures the amount of nitric oxide in the breath when exhaling.
– Bronchoprovocation Test — Similar to allergy tests, bronchoprovocation involves breathing in possible triggers to see what is triggering asthma.
The main goal of treating asthma is to control the condition which is often achieved through medications and avoidance of triggers. A treatment plan for asthma may include:
Learning how to identify triggers — One of the most important aspects of managing asthma is learning how to identify triggers and how to avoid them. Oftentimes, these triggers are found in the environment, but they may also be present in food, medicines, cleaning products, metals, or certain fabrics.
Finding the best medication — Not every medication is a perfect fit and certain medicines will work better in different situations. Finding the best medication may take some time, but the right choice will greatly improve a person’s ability to live with asthma. There are many types of medications for asthma, which are often administered via inhalers.
Developing an action plan — Having asthma medications is important, but knowing when to take them is imperative. In addition to this, if the medications are not working, it is vital to know what to do and who to call in those situations.
Broadway Family Clinic is dedicated to providing you with all of your allergy and asthma needs. Our medical professionals are experienced at treating allergies and asthma and can help you find relief from your symptoms. Call us today to book an appointment with our allergy and asthma doctor. We serve patients from Pearland TX, Shadow Creek Ranch TX, Southern Trail TX, Pomona TX, Southlake TX, Sienna Plantation TX, Fresno TX, Manvel TX and Rosharon TX.
ADDITIONAL SERVICES YOU MAY NEED