Well Women Visits Questions and Answers
If you are looking for women’s health care clinic in Pearland TX, our physicians at Broadway Family Clinic are pleased to offer Well-woman visits. For more information call us today or visit online to book an appointment.
Table of Contents:
Well-woman visits are a helpful part of preventive medicine, functioning as a specialized physical evaluation with added focus on issues that uniquely affect women. At Broadway Family Clinic, we would be happy to provide you with a well-woman visit if you think you could use one! To give you a better idea of what a well-woman visit entails, we have provided some answers to commonly asked questions about well-woman visits below.
A well-woman visit includes various medical evaluations and laboratory tests to assess a woman’s overall health, vitality, and quality of life. Well-woman visits also have a particular focus on health issues that uniquely or disproportionately affect women, such as cervical cancer, infertility, gestational diabetes, endometriosis, polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS), and other conditions. With that in mind, some things that are often included in a well-woman visit include the following:
● Bi-manual exam, to measure uterus size and check for abnormalities in the pelvic region
● Bone density test, to check for osteoporosis in later middle-aged and older adults
● Breast exam, to assess any changes in shape or skin texture and check for nipple discharge or lumps
● Contraceptive guidance and advice on such things as birth control, intrauterine device, surgical options, and other suggestions or recommendations
● External exam of the genitals, including a visual examination of the vulva and labia for cysts, irritation, redness, swelling, or symptoms of sexually transmitted diseases or infections (STDs or STIs)
● Human papillomavirus (HPV) test, included in a speculum exam
● Mammogram, which is an X-ray of the breasts to check for early signs of breast cancer
● Medical history review and routine physical examination
● Pap smear, to examine the cervix for cancerous or precancerous cells
● Speculum exam, which examines the cervix and vaginal walls for atypical discharge, irritation, or symptoms of STDs or STIs, such as HPV
● Urine sample, to test for kidney health, urinary tract infections, and other issues
For women over the age of 21, or women who become sexually active before the age of 21, the general recommendation is to have a well-woman check-up once every year to check for STDs, STIs, cervical cancer, breast cancer, and other medical issues unique to women.
In addition to the routine checks that every person should consider having every year or those that your doctor recommends, a woman should also consider the following tests and screenings:
● Blood pressure test once every year if it is above normal levels (between 120/80 and 139/89)
● Chlamydia tests every year through age 24 if you are sexually active
● Lipid profile screening for cholesterol if you are at high risk for developing heart disease
● Mammogram every one to two years for women between the ages of 50 and 75
It is also highly recommended to receive a flu shot every year at the beginning of the flu season that runs from October through March.
Either a primary care physician specializing in women’s health or an obstetrician-gynecologist (OB/GYN) can provide excellent well-woman check-up services. At Broadway Family Clinic, our board-certified family medicine and internal medicine physicians would be happy to provide you with thorough and comprehensive well-woman check-ups!
For a well-woman check-up appointment or more information about our well-women visits at Broadway Family Clinic, please give us a call or schedule an appointment through our website! You can find Broadway Family Clinic at 3129 Kingsley Drive, Suite 340, in Pearland, Texas. We serve patients from Pearland TX, Shadow Creek Ranch TX, Southern Trail TX, Pomona TX, Southlake TX, Sienna Plantation TX, Fresno TX, Manvel TX and Rosharon TX.
ADDITIONAL SERVICES YOU MAY NEED